Monday, August 20, 2012

Weston Winery

I've gotten a bit behind in doing blog posts, so to start off I want to tell you about my trip to Weston Winery last week as the last session of my 'Discovering Wine' course.  The course was led by Geoff Weston, owner of Weston Winery, which is the Southern-most winery in the world.  He was the funniest little kiwi man, who would just go off on the most random tangents about wine and history and whatever else he wanted.  

During each of the sessions at Uni, we tasted six different wines and learned about the background and characteristics of each.  We tried a variety of grapes, wines from different regions, as well as a few champagnes and ports.  I still don't feel like a pro at wine by any stretch, but I definitely gained a much greater appreciation for good wine, learned a lot, and had a bit of fun doing it as well.  I would still say that I prefer white whines, especially Riesling, as apparently it takes a while to develop an appreciation for drier red wines...

Going to Geoff's winery was the perfect way to end the course.  His winery is just a little stone building in his backyard in a suburban neighborhood of Dunedin.  But it was so cute inside, with lots of dried flowers hanging from the ceiling, candles, and barrels of wine all around.  He had picked out a few of his own wines for us to try along with the ones we had each brought.  Trying them all in sequence, it was so obvious that his were so much better than the rest... We had his sauvignon blanc and chardonnay.  Hopefully someday I'll get a chance to try the rest!





 Geoff telling some stories



 Geoff, Elise, and Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment